A Berg Above The Rest

yet another jewish controlled media outlet

Thursday, April 20, 2006

If Your Grandfather Dressed Like Paul Wall...Old Jews in Commercials Pt. 1

Butterfinger (as in the candy bar) has launched a new ad campaign called Follow The Finger. Now, this ad campaign is definitely questionable when it comes to whom exactly they are marketing. Their commercials so far have made fun of people in India, China and Russia. On their website, a game (which is under construction at the moment) will allow you to go searching for the "Follow the Finger" finger in the "Ghetto." And finally, the point of my post, they have this commercial:



So, I don't want to go into what this reminds me of (I've already been scolded for "looking too deeply" into this commercial), but while many might find it funny, I just can't. (Although, I admit, I kinda want a Butterfinger...damn corporate advertising...)

There is something about the idea of old Jewish men rapping that people find HILARIOUS. Two Live Jews knew this in 1990, when they created their hit song "Oy! It's So Humid" to the tune of Two Live Crew's "Me So Horny." There have been numerous Jewish holiday e-cards and online websites that show older Jewish men (and even Jewish robots) rapping. While all of these are based in some form of stereotype, the difference, I feel, is that the image of Manny G getting all blinged out traces back to an older image. It's pretty reminiscent of anti-semitic (there I finally said it) images from the late 1800s through WWII. Images of Jews with diamond rings on almost every finger.

I may sound naive when I say this, but it's sad to me that advertisers still think it's a good idea to use stereotypes to sell their products. What's worse is that there are some ad writers/creators who use stereotypes of their own people to sell products. And what's even worse than that is the fact that the character Manny G. doesn't have to announce his Jewish-ness. It's already understood, meaning the stereotype is so far ingrained in people's minds, they recognize all the signifiers. I wouldn't be surprised if there was a Jewish writer working on this ad campaign. I'm just hoping that some day people come to their senses.

1 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home